Acne can occur due to temporary or chronic changes in a body. They often appear when skin gets clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Here are some simple home remedies to cure acne.
Acne is a skin condition that affects a major population of the world. An estimated 85% of people face acne. They can be caused due to a number of reasons. But it is easy to cure them in most of the cases by using simple home remedies. Therefore, here is a list of such homemade simple treatments which can cure the disease.
1. Apply apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apple cider, or the unfiltered juice from pressed apples. It has the ability to fight many types of bacteria and viruses.
It can prove to be helpful in lighting the appearance of acne scars. Apple cider vinegar may help dry up the excess oil that causes acne in the first place.
- Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 3 parts of water (use more water for sensitive skin).
- Cleanse your skin, and then gently apply the mixture to the skin with the help of a cotton ball.
- Let sit for 5-20 seconds, wash off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 1-2 times per day, as per the requirement.
Be careful while using apple cider vinegar as it can also cause skin irritation or burns.
2. Make a honey and cinnamon mask
Honey and cinnamon are great sources of antioxidants. According to the studies, applying antioxidants to the skin is more effective at reducing acne than benzoyl peroxide and retinoids. The antioxidants studied vitamin B3, linoleic (omega-6) fatty acid and sodium ascorbyl phosphate (SAP), which is a vitamin C derivative are two common acne medications for the skin.
These particular antioxidants are not found in honey or cinnamon, but other antioxidants may have a similar effect. Honey and cinnamon can prove to be beneficial to fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon together to form a paste.
- After cleansing, apply the mask to your face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off completely and pat your face dry.
3. Use tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an essential oil well known for its ability to fight bacteria and reduce skin inflammation. It is extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a small tree native to Australia.
In studies, it was found that it also resulted in fewer severe effects like dryness, irritation and burning, compared to benzoyl peroxide. Tea tree oil is very potent, therefore always dilute it before applying it to your skin.
- Mix 1 part of tea tree oil with 9 parts of water.
- Dip a cotton swab into the mixture and apply it to the affected areas.
- Apply moisturizer if desired.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times per day, as per the requirement.
4. Apply green tea over the skin
Green tea has great health benefits as it is high in anti-oxidants. Though there aren’t any studies that talk about the benefits of drinking green tea for reducing acne but applying it directly to the skin has found out to be helpful.
This is maybe because the green tea has flavonoids and tannins which are known to help fight bacteria and reduce inflammation. The major antioxidant in green tea – epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) – has been shown to reduce sebum production, fight inflammation and inhibit the growth of P. acnes.
Various studies have shown that applying a 2-3% green tea extract to the skin significantly reduces sebum production and pimples in those with acne. You can also go for creams and lotions that have green tea or try the easier method to make your own mixture at home.
- Immerse green tea in boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
- Then, allow the tea to cool.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the tea to the skin or use a spray bottle instead.
- Allow to dry, then wash off with water and pat dry.